The journey to gain 6 inches by March 2014 has begun...
If you are a weave wearer, there are a few things you have to do to make sure that when you take down your weave, your hair doesn't break off from being dry and brittle. To retain your length, you have to keep your hair moisturized and healthy underneath the weave. Here are some tips on how to care for your hair while wearing a weave.
Before and during weave installation:
1. Before installing your weave, make sure to wash and deep condition your hair
2. Installing your weave requires a bit of manipulation so have a conversation with your stylist about how they manipulate your hair. Make sure they are not ripping through your hair as they put in the cornrows and make sure that the cornrows are not too tight. You can make it easier on your stylist by ensuring that your hair is well detangled before going to the salon, that way it's easier for her to manipulate without causing any breakage.
3. Do not use glue. It is difficult to remove and will prevent you from caring for your hair adequately while wearing the weave. Sew ins are a healthier option.
After installing the weave:
Moisturize at least 3 times a week:
1. Put your moisturizer (glycerin and water or a water based leave in or aloe vera juice and water or just plain ol water... whatever works for you) in a spray bottle, lift the weave and spray unto the cornrows
2. Put some oil of your choice in an applicator or spray bottle and spritz some unto your hair to seal in the moisture
Clean and condition:
Wash and condition your hair every week or two
1. Mix your shampoo with water, put in a spray bottle or applicator, lift the weave and apply the shampoo mixture to your scalp
2. Massage your scalp
3. Rinse thoroughly
4. Mix your conditioner with water, put in a spray bottle or applicator, lift the weave and apply the conditioner mixture to your hair
5. Leave the conditioner in your hair for a few minutes
6. Rinse thoroughly
7. To blend your leave out with the weave, opt to roller set if possible rather than flat ironing. If your weave is curly you can set your leave out with small rollers or even straws depending on how tight a curl you want (this is better than using direct heat: flatirons/hot combs/curling irons on your hair).
After taking the weave out:
1. After removing the weave, loosen your cornrows, detangle carefully with your fingers and pull out the shed hairs.
2. Detangle using your fingers only, don't comb your hair with a comb until it is washed and saturated with conditioner
3. After finger detangling, wash, apply condition and comb through
4. Apply a protein treatment to help strengthen your hair
3. Wait at least a week to get your relaxer (if you are relaxed)
I know it sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It'll take you less than 10mins to moisturize daily - Ok maybe a little more but not that much. If shampooing every week doesn't work for you, you can adjust to 2 weeks or more but make sure that you are moisturizing and sealing frequently.
So that's it! Let me know in the comment section if you have any questions or if you have any additional tips on caring for your hair while wearing a weave.